Bridging the Gap (BTG) is a nationally-recognized, 40-hour medical interpreter training course. In BTG, participants learn: medical terms, the role of the interpreter, consecutive interpreting, sight translation, and much more. By course’s end, participants have the skills and knowledge necessary to interpret in medical settings. The course is held at LUNA’s on-site training facility, and multiple sessions are offered throughout the year.
Bridging the Gap covers:
- Basic Interpreter Skills: Roles, ethics, conduit and clarifier interpreting, and managing the flow of the session
- Medical Terminology: Body systems, common ailments, common medical procedures, and medical prefixes/suffixes
- Information on Health Care: Introduction to the health care system and HIPAA compliance
- Culture in Interpreting: Self-awareness, basic characteristics of specific cultures, traditional health care in specific communities, and cultural brokering
- Communication Skills for Advocacy: Listening skills, communication styles, how doctors think, and appropriate advocacy
- Professional Development: Effective communication, professional conduct, self-care, and professional growth
- Cost: The course total is $510.00. This total includes $130 for the Language Proficiency Assessment (LPA) deposit + $380 for BTG tuition/materials. For $510, participants receive: two LPA’s, 40 hours of instruction, two textbooks, a BTG certificate, and a LUNA t-shirt.
- Location: Classes are held at LUNA Language Services 8935 N. Meridian St., Suite 250 Indianapolis, IN 46260.
- Limited to 25 participants, so please reserve your spot quickly.
- If a session does not have enough participants, it will be rescheduled.
- Attendance in all 40 hours of the course is required to successfully complete the training program. If unforeseeable circumstances arise and you cannot come to a class, notify the LUNA office immediately.
- On the last day of the course, participants pass a 50-question, multiple-choice final exam. The minimum passing score on the exam is 70%.
- Participants receive a BTG certificate upon successful completion of the course.
- Request a BTG registration form by emailing BTG@luna360.com and return the completed form to BTG@luna360.com.
- Call LUNA to pay the $130 LPA deposit. LUNA’s BTG Coordinator will send email instructions on how to make this payment.
- Take and pass two LPA’s (one in English and one in another language) with a score of 9 or higher.
- Call LUNA to pay $380 for BTG tuition and materials.