LUNA Language Services, a mid-size interpreting and translating agency based in Indianapolis, Indiana, is seeking a leader to direct a client-centered department servicing individuals and organizations in the medical, legal, government, logistics, biosciences, and educational fields. This department provides services in over 200 different languages, serving over 400 clients across the nation. The ideal candidate for the Director of Translation Services position is someone who is a strategic thinker focused on accountability and goal setting, one who easily navigates customer needs, and who has a strong command of digital platforms. Critical to success in this position is the ability to manage a team of in-house, remote, and contracted project managers and translators, and to recruit, assess, and manage a large body of contractors and LSPs.
This position will report to the CEO and President, is a vital part of the leadership team, and will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the team, account management, and collaborating with new business development efforts. This is a key leadership role within LUNA and will be tasked with leading and growing this department at a time when the language services field is rapidly evolving and changing.
- Overall accountability for project deliverables and account management in the department including creating and presenting regular internal and client-facing reports
- Management of in-house and remote contract translation teams, as well as in-house project managers
- Management of vendor relationships
- Oversight of client relationships with an effort to grow and manage accounts including customer surveys and accounts payable/receivable assistance
- Accountability for creation of, contributing and adhering to department and organization’s strategic plan
- Working closely with the Sales & Marketing teams to promote the growth of the department including conception, planning, and execution of webinars and written projects positioning LUNA and the Director as subject matter experts
- Ongoing participation and management of relevant ISO processes to maintain certification of standards
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience
- 3-5 years of project management experience with a proven track record of successfully managing multiple complex projects concurrently
- Prior experience leading, managing, and mentoring a team
- Excellent written and verbal English skills; native or near-native proficiency in another language is a plus
- Solid knowledge of localization and website translation project management preferred
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Understanding and working knowledge of CAT tools and workflows preferred
- Knowledge of translation industry standards and best practices
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Resilience, curiosity, and a sense of humor
Applicants should have strong coordination skills, experience successfully leading a team, and a desire to work in a dynamic and multilingual environment with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. An ideal candidate will have a track record of successful leadership, a working knowledge of the translation industry, and a history of leading process improvements.
What will make you stand out from other applicants:
- Prior experience managing global marketing translation projects
- Well networked in the industry
- Passion and reputation for innovation
- Self-motivated and proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer and President
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of positions given this title and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their departments. Specific job-related duties assigned by hiring departments shall be consistent with the representative essential functions listed above and shall not be construed as expanding a particular position’s role, scope, FLSA status, or grade.